The Gyeonggi Provincial Office of Education has launched an audit following revelations that a man who had been placed in juvenile detention for sexually assaulting a minor with intellectual disabilities became a homeroom teacher at an elementary school in Suwon. The alleged teacher is currently not working at the school.
“It is true that the teacher who was accused of sexual assault worked as a teacher, but he is not currently working,” an official from the Gyeonggi-do Office of Education said in a phone call with this reporter on the 22nd, adding, “The Suwon Education Support Agency is conducting an audit of the teacher.” “We cannot disclose specific details as the audit is ongoing,” the spokesperson said.
A post on an online community on Feb. 22. The author, who claimed to be an acquaintance of the perpetrator of the 2010 mass sexual assault of minors with intellectual disabilities in Daejeon, revealed that he is currently working as a teacher at an elementary school in Gwanggyo, Suwon. Online community
The controversy began on April 22, when an online community posted, “A crazy thing happened: a gang rapist of minors with intellectual disabilities became an elementary school teacher and a firefighter.
The incident referred to by the author, who claimed to be an acquaintance of the perpetrator, was the so-called “Daejeon Crucible Incident” in 2010 in the Daejeon area. Sixteen boys, all sophomores in high school at the time, gang-raped a middle school girl (13 years old at the time) whom they knew through chat. They sexually assaulted the victim on multiple occasions over the course of a month, often spying on each other from the roof of a building while committing the crimes. The victim was a child with a level 3 intellectual disability and a level 4 physical disability.
The case was highly publicized, but it was only investigated as a criminal case because “the victim did not actively resist,” and it even came up in the National Assembly’s national audit. At the time, members of the National Assembly’s Public Administration and Security Committee demanded that the National Police Agency “disclose the occupations of the parents of the 16 detained perpetrators,” raising suspicions of external pressure.
The court decision was a bat out of hell. On December 27, 2011, the Daejeon District Court Family Support issued juvenile protection dispositions (one year of probation and 40 hours of correctional education) to all 16 students. The protective disposition is not a criminal punishment, so it is not recorded in the criminal background data and does not prevent them from holding public positions such as teachers and firefighters. “The victim’s father and the perpetrators have reached an agreement, and the perpetrators are all students who are about to enter their senior year of high school and are begging to be given the opportunity to pursue their dreams,” the court said in its reasons for the sentence.
The case resurfaced in 2012. One of the 16 students was reportedly admitted to a university in the metropolitan area after receiving a “service king” recommendation letter from his homeroom teacher.
“The victims wanted a strong punishment, but because they were young and studied well, they were given juvenile protection, which can be considered virtually innocent,” the author wrote. “Some of them worked in public offices, such as homeroom teachers at an elementary school in Guangxi and firefighters, and were able to perfectly launder their identities.”
“Just as rapists have the right to rejoin society, I believe my children have the right not to be educated by rapists,” he said, adding, “They were silent when they were recommended by their schools and admitted to prestigious universities, and when they were hired by large companies, but I cannot stand the threat of my children being educated by them먹튀검증.”
“I urgently ask you to publicize this case to protect the rights of rape teachers and rape firefighters to be educated and not be rescued,” she said. The post went viral, especially in the Gwanggyo community.
It is expected to take one to two months for the results of the Gyeonggi Provincial Office of Education’s audit to be released. However, it is expected that it will be difficult to dispose of the case. The incident occurred before the teacher named as the perpetrator was hired, and all legal penalties are over. An official from the Gyeonggi Provincial Office of Education said, “We will proceed with due process after closely examining the facts.”