A large number of maggots were found in the mouth of a patient admitted to a nursing hospital. While it is estimated that a fly laid eggs in the unconscious patient’s mouth, the hospital is reported to claim that it was not negligence.
According to informant Kim on the 13th, Kim, who has been taking care of her 83-year-old father who was admitted to a nursing hospital in Jeonbuk after a hit-and-run traffic accident, found a wriggling white insect in her father’s mouth last month.
Upon closer inspection, several maggots measuring 1 to 1.5 cm were moving. Surprised, Mr. Kim put on his rubber gloves and hurriedly took out three maggots. Kim asked for help from a nurse and used an inhaler to catch all the maggots hidden in his father’s throat.
Mr. Kim said, “I was so surprised and in a hurry that I just caught the maggot in my mouth with my finger wearing a latex glove.” “This happened,” he said.
Mr. Kim said that he couldn’t sleep because he was afraid that maggots would crawl all over his father’s body. The next day, Mr. Kim took his father for a detailed diagnosis at the university hospital, and luckily no more maggots were found. Blood tests also showed inflammation levels within the normal range.
In a phone call with the Kukmin Ilbo, Mr. Kim said안전놀이터, “I felt like I was hit by something because I had never imagined something like this.”
It is said that the hospital suggested that they would not receive three months’ worth of nursing expenses when Mr. Kim raised the issue. At the same time, the hospital official said, “It was not intentional harassment, so it was not negligence, and there was nothing to worry about because it was insufficient in the treatment process,” Kim said.
Eventually, Mr. Kim moved to the hospital on the 7th. The medical staff who checked his father’s condition said, “I see signs of scabies bites.” It is said that the hospital in question has not given any answer about compensation for damage.
Mr. Kim said, “The maggots in the mouth are really incomprehensible, and the attitude of the hospital is even more incomprehensible.”
The symptoms experienced by Mr. Kim’s father are presumed to be ‘oral maggot donation’. A disease in which maggots, in the form of parasites, are found in the mouth and occur very rarely.
Most cases of maggots in the human body occur when flies lay eggs in wounds on the skin. In the case of Kim’s father, it seems that flies entered his mouth and laid eggs after he was unable to move with his mouth open for a long time in an unconscious state due to a car accident. .
Similar cases have been confirmed several times in Korea. In 2014, dozens of maggots were found in the nose of an 82-year-old grandmother suffering from dementia, and in 2016, maggots appeared in the eyes and ears of a healthy man in his 70s.
In 2020, 28 maggots were also found in the mouth of a grandmother of the same age who was in a coma due to a car accident and reported to the academic world.